Thursday, September 25, 2008

And The Show Must Go On...

Wow, what a wild, humbling and sometimes scary week and a half. I had effectively avoided every previous hurricane to hit my hometown, and therefore may have been slightly ill prepared for what was to come.

Thursday 9/11/2008 we were scheduled to play our varsity contest that had been pushed up in preparation for the storm. By the end of the day, the path of this Category 2 Storm had shifted so that we were directly in its path, and all events and school was cancelled for Friday.
Have you ever left one day with the thought that you would be back on Monday, and then everything changes? The strong winds and rain hit my house late Friday night and my power was out by 2:30am on Saturday morning. My family and I were mostly spared from damage, for that I am truly grateful and very blessed. We were without power for 12 days (and I celebrated my birthday in the dark :)).

After a week of recovery and repair, this great city and state and its great people began to put everything back together again, and life must go on.
Galveston, areas in the Golden Triangle, and other coastal areas were not spared from devastation. It will take a long time to rebuild and much support will be needed. Any help we can offer would be great! Any ideas on how we can reach out and help, post them here and we will get to work!

Several area athletic trainers were taking care of athletic practices with no power, ice and under a boil water notice. WOW!

I, as I know others, have been overwhelmed by the outpouring of concern and offers of help from my peers. We are an innovative and adaptive group, athletic trainers, we persevere and take care of each other.

I am so proud to be an athletic trainer!

No comments: