Tuesday, November 11, 2008

More on the three day...

I, along with Kelley, worked the 3 Day Race. This was my second year being on the sports medicine crew, and I can say with some certainty that I will continue to work it as long as I am around. It is such an up-lifting experience, both for the touching moments you share with walkers and survivors, like Kelley mentioned in her post, and for the excitement and tenacity every single walker shares.

I had one walker at the 6 am medical tent Sunday morning that needed me to take care of a monster of a blister in between her toes. After I was finished I asked her to put her shoes on and tell me what she thought; whether the big bandage would be OK there between her toes. She then confessed to me that she didn't have her shoes with her and that her teammates were looking for them from the previous day's campground. This lady fainted on Saturday, was taken to the ER for fluids, monitored all night long, and was released at 5:30 that morning to come and finish the race. She was adamant about finishing what she started and was all smiles about the 18+ miles ahead of her. I don't know what happened to her on down the road, but it is my hope that she reached the finish line and met her goal.

I even had another man, ask for my hand in marriage after stretching his hamstrings and calf! Stuff like that doesn't happen to me everyday! :)

The gratitude the walkers have for us, the medical staff, is genuine and reassuring, and like Kelley said, it fills your heart with the idea that there is good in the world. I know that as athletic trainers, we give and serve others daily, and that this is just one more example of this what we do so well. I love the opportunity to be an advocate for the profession. Almost every walker asks, what do you do for a living, and it is great to answer back "I'm an athletic trainer." It all makes me proud to be a part of this profession and to surround myself with those who work tirelessly (and tired!) to help out those in need. Thanks for the mammories!

No comments: