Friday, January 16, 2009

The Soundtrack to our efforts...

If you are like me, then music helps you through the long days and even longer nights. Music has a way of making time go by faster, and punctuating life's important and unimportant moments.

I can relate many things in my life back to a song that was playing, and I often reminisce about people, places or things while listening.


For this reason, I think that my message today can be illustrated by some great music. All the links are clickable to the songs I've selected for my points. I've also included a list at the bottom :) (Please pardon the cheesy lengths I go to at some points to make it work.)

I want you to want to want to get involved in our professional organizations. Got something on your mind? Don't let it be! Tell us about it and make your voice heard. It's a great day to be an athletic trainer, and an even better day for you to stand up and take ownership of the future of our associations. Don't be an independent! We are better and stronger as a group. So come together, right now, and let's change the world (of athletic training).

OK, enough with the stretching. Seriously, though, now is the best time for young professionals to step up. The experienced professionals have created many opportunities for us to participate, and the young professionals committee is working to create more all the time. Let us know what you want. What do you think SWATA should be doing? What would motivate you to be a member, volunteer, vote, etc?

There is currently an opening on the SWATA Board for Second Vice President, and they are accepting nominations. Is there any reason why a young professional couldn't step up and try for this position? Nope. Is there anyone who is interested in representing the young professionals on the SWATA Board?

In other news, I've fixed the comment moderation thing, so all of your comments will be posted as soon as you type them. I'm still figuring this whole blog thing out. Check out the new athletic training-centered blogs that were recommended by a comment to Jeff's recent post. Great resources for young professionals.

*Song List:

I Want You To Want Me- Cheap Trick

Let it Be- The Beatles

Tell Her About It- Billy Joel

It's a Great Day to Be Alive- Travis Tritt

Stand Up (for it)- Dave Matthews Band

Independent- Webbie

Stronger- Kanye West

Come Together- Beatles (covered by Delbert McClinton)

Change The World- Eric Clapton

2 comments:

jkwoodall said...

Your post reminds me of the TV show Ally McBeal! She had a theme song for everyone and everything! I think that another great song to add to the list would be 'Lean on Me' because everyone should have someone they can lean on and get support from. Likewise, everyone should also be confident that they, themselves, can be leaned on as well. Everyone has something to offer, they just might not know it yet. This is just a thought that I had and wanted to share.

Melinda Terry said...

Carissa, you are absolutely right on! There is no reason a YP cannot get involved with the SWATA board. Feeling like you don't have the experience? We all felt that way. Feeling like you aren't ready to be a leader? We all felt that way too. When will you feel like you have experience, can contribute and be a leader? When you decide you can! Why not now? Call or e-mail me, there is still time. 512-233-1637 or melindat@stedwards.edu