Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hit the Hill

First, I know why I love living in Texas; Washington DC was cold. However, it was eventful and well worth the cold nose. I was fortunate this year that Hit the Hill was held in conjunction with the Athletic Training Educator's Conference so I had two good excuses to miss work.

I will admit that I was a little nervous about Monday and the unexpected. On Sunday, we were briefed thoroughly by our lobbying firm, Drinker, Biddle and Reath and on Monday, nine buses pulled away from the Gaylord and headed to the steps of the Capitol (well, as close to the steps as you can get now). Texas was represented by approximately 32 athletic trainers from all settings (look for that picture soon!) We spent the day in the offices of our representatives and our senators asking for their support of the Athletic Trainers' Equal Access to Medicare (ATEAM) bill and asking if they would make a Congressional Record Statement in support of the role that athletic trainers play. We also asked the House of Representatives to join the Congressional Fitness Caucus that boosts the understanding of the role that physical activity has on a healthy lifestyle.

While we never got a solid "YES" from any of the assistants that we spoke to, the people that my group met seemed positive about the outlook and they definitely learned about athletic training. Going into the day, I was really unsure about how it would all go but I am excited that I was able to take part in such an amazing day. I think that all of our voices need to be heard. Over the course of the next few weeks there will be lots of talk about the new bill. Take a few minutes and send an email to your representatives and senators asking for their support.

More information can be found at http://capwiz.com/nata/home/

No comments: