Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

I've heard this so frequently in the previous weeks. Regarding house stuff, and weather, work and life.

It made me think...Isn't this what athletic trainers do? Our entire education prepares us for the worst case scenario. From prevention of head injuries and heat illness, to evaluation of torn ligaments and broken bones to rehabilitation after major surgery. Preparing us to deal with the worst.

What happens though, when you aren't prepared for the worst? When the worst is worse than anything you could have imagined.
Last year, one of my basketball athletes complained of low back pain. She went to her physician, and was diagnosed with leukemia. 16 years old, back pain, CANCER? That was not my worst. She is now cancer-free, but can no longer compete in basketball.

Last week, a coach's son was laid to rest at the age of 12. 2 and a half years ago he was having hip pain. Went to his physician and was diagnosed with Ewing's Sarcoma, fatal in 75% of all cases. He fought a valiant battle. The whole varsity team and coaching staff attended his funeral and mourned a life lost too young and celebrated a child who is now cancer free. I was moved, emotional and felt helpless.

Athletic trainers are preventers. Athletic trainers are fixers. I could neither prevent what happened, nor fix these kids. Not to mention their friends, family, teammates and others affected by their diagnosis.

One of the issues that often arises in the first 5 years of your athletic training career is coping with loss and dealing with the psychosocial repercussions left behind. Counseling athletes after a season ending injury, loss of a friend or family member, or simply after a break-up is a situation I was ill prepared for. I didn't realize that in many cases, these athletes felt I was the person they could trust most to listen and advise them through rough times. It is a situation in which you have to tread carefully, and know your boundaries.
I am finally beginning to understand this relationship and appreciate my role.
Sometimes, however, no matter what you do you can't prepare for the worst, and that is OK.
You simply have to be prepared to respond.

1 comment:

Kelley Henderson said...

I am very moved by your post and agree that we are ill equipped to deal with some things. However, the students do think we are the ones to fix things. I would encourage everyone to know what you feel comfortable dealing with and be comfortable saying "I think you need more than I can provide". We are the only rock that some students have but don't let it crumble you.