Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Brave? or just plain dumb?

“Quality of life” is one of the hottest buzzwords in the profession these days. What can we do to make our job more enjoyable and keep people in the profession? This isn’t rhetorical. Seriously, what is it? What are we looking for? What do athletic trainers need to make us stick with this profession that we so fell in love with that we sacrificed so much at one time?

I have left my current position. I left because I was unhappy. I am this demographic that I don’t know how to handle or how to fix. I was tired of being here for the long hours. Not so much the time I was working hard to get patients better or teaching or providing great care for athletes, but for the time wasted. The time in the middle of the day where I was expected to be in the athletic training room “just in case.” These moments are when I am certain Facebook was made for athletic trainers.

I left because I was uninspired by what was called of me everyday. I left because I know that I am stunted in my professional growth. I left because I want to be challenged and learn something new and make a new mark for athletic trainers outside of the school setting.

I have been told I’m “brave” to make such a leap of faith. Some have praised me for acknowledging these things in myself and doing what it takes to make the changes. I partially think I have lost my mind. Who quits without having a job lined up!!!! Oh, that would be me.

I like to think of it of the seven-year itch. I’m in my eight year with my hubby, and I still like him. So I figure something had to give…

So I ask of you, how do we prevent the seven-year athletic training itch?

1 comment:

Val said...

Bravery... brave to know that there is more out there for someone like you. Brave to step on faith that your knowledge, skills and education were meant for more. Brave to believe that your input can create a greater output. Brave to state all of this for others who are struggling with the same thoughts!