Monday, August 4, 2008

Four Weddings and a...



Life and a Job. Over the next 12 months I will be IN 4 weddings. People keep telling me..."well, it's that time in your life." EXACTLY! I'm young and all the people I know are at the time in their lives where they are ready to settle down. I dearly love my friends and am happy to stand with them on what will be a very important day in their lives, but it is no simple one-day commitment. Bridal showers, buying dresses and accessories, traveling to out-of-state weddings, etc.

Unfortunately, not all of my friends are Athletic Trainers and therefore do not necessarily keep the same schedule as I do, so their weddings are in December, March and May (not calm times in our lives). Do you politely decline because of work commitments or do you pass the responsibility to your associate (if you have one), go happily to the wedding and try not to think about the events you are missing?

I think one of the issues that faces all Athletic Trainers, but even more so Young Professionals, is this battle to balance all aspects of your life. How can you keep your significant other satisfied (and take care of kids, if you have them), still see your friends and work the hours that we do? I know that when I got my first job, I really felt I had to prove that I was good at what I did. I showed up early and stayed late and while I missed my family and friends, I poured myself into my work. I am now a newlywed, and luckily my husband has been around throughout my entire journey as an Athletic Trainer, so he definitely understands the time commitment and is fully supportive when I tell him I'm going to apply to be on a committee that will require even more effort and time. Thanks, honey! My friends and family know they won't hear from me much in August, and honestly, who goes out on Friday nights anyway?!

There also always seems to be a sharp division between young and veteran Athletic Trainers about work commitment. To have weekend treatments or not to have weekend treatments, that is the question! I think finding common ground without condescension will also help bridge this gap between us, but that is for another post.

I still feel like I'm trying to prove myself and my worth at work and in this profession, but I'm also trying now even more than before to find that balance. Things happen in your life that will give you great pause about your priorities. Loss of a loved one that you haven't seen in a long time, missing your best friend's wedding, birth of a child, niece or nephew. I think the new SWATA Life Balance Committee will tackle some of these issues and will help us to not only take care of our athletes/patients/clients, but also take greater care of ourselves and our families.

How do you balance everything? What do you struggle with?

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I, as most of us(99.9%), struggle with the time that is involved with our profession. I knew it going in to it. I was a student trainer in high school and when I went to college, I knew what I was getting into. I went into an intership program as the only freshmen during 2-a-days and I knew what was involved. I am full aware of the demands of a 5A high school job, and it is still difficult. I have been involved as an athletic trainer since my freshmen year of high school in 1990 and I still struggle with the time committment.

Over the years I have learned that in order make my life a glorious and happy event I have to work at it. I have to find the balance. For me to find the balance, I have to create the balance. As with anything important in life you have to work at it, it will not just happen... that is what I have learned.

I work at it by setting priorities with my daily tasks and tackling them one at a time. I try not to set something aside and say, "Well, I will get to that later." I am not perfect and yes my desk gets very crazy, but I make it a priority to do my work so that at the end of the day I am able to go home or able to eat that dinner with my wife either in the training room or watching the event together.

I am lucky. My wife supports me 100%, but that does not mean it is always easy, for her or me. Communication and planning are the keys and you will be successful when you learn to do both.

Life is crazy and the time will fly. Right now it is all footballs and volleyballs but before you know it basketballs and soccerballs will be popping nets, wrestling mats will be squeezed in-between everything else, the track spikes will be running circles and the ding of the bats will ring...along with all the other wonderful sports we work with.

If you make it a priority to find that balance between your professional life and your personal life you will find that all the insanity of being an athletic trainer is just part of the daily routine. At least that is what works for me.

Carissa Spraberry M Ed, ATC, LAT said...

I think you are absolutely right, Jeff. The life balance is something that is achieved through a lot of effort, experience, and no false sense of 40 hour work weeks. I, too started this in high school, where I met my now husband, and have never left. I have always been well-aware of the time commitment and it has also been understood by my loved ones.
Do you think that with the increasing number of curriculum programs (eliminating internships), that we are creating this issue by NOT preparing athletic trainers for the job? Many curriculum programs limit travel and only get 20 or so hours weekly in the Athletic Training room, does this prepare them adequately for what's to come? (This also may be an issue for another post :))

Unknown said...

The answer for me is no...and yes.

I know that the 20 hour time limit of the cirriculum program does not give an accurate reflection of the time required in some (most AT) job settings. I also know that a lot of the ATEP instructors try to express this to the students, but until someone has to put in that 60+ hour week in for the 16th week in a row, it is hard to be prepared for that type of committment.

I am not sure of the answer because I know that the AT student today in the ATEP program earns a wealth of knowledge from having a BS in Athletic Training, and knowledge is the key to understanding. I know that the education requirements must be met, but I also know that there are some aspects to the AT's education that cannot be obtained from a book.

Nothing teaches a person like good ol' fashion experience and there is only one way to get that...earn it.

Carissa Spraberry M Ed, ATC, LAT said...

I think today's ATEP programs adequately provide the knowledge necessary for our job. I am really proud of these programs and I think they do great things to advance the profession. I agree that over time they will be able to develop the experiences to better represent real world settings.
On another note, I wanted to add that I think it is also important to have a hobby outside of athletic training to help achieve this balance. Maintaining interests other than work will keep things separate and keep young athletic training professionals from burning out.