Wednesday, September 16, 2009

The more things change...

So I heard somewhere recently that your life won't look much different in three years. The implication is that life doesn't change drastically in that period of time.
It got me thinking, and I think three years is a long time and brings lots of change at every stage...
0-3-you go from a blob that eats and poos to a little person that walks and talks
~
3-6-you can comprehend and reason and you start school!
~
13-16 awkward adolescent to a full on difficult young adult that can drive (scary!)
~
19-22-this is when I had my epiphany that my parents really did know what they were talking about; was of legal drinking age; and graduated college the first time.
~
22-25 I got my first job, graduated from college the second time, got married... turned 28 today and the last 3 years have been nothing short of amazing, and definitely never boring.

I think this is a fundamental issue that young professionals face. Our life is changing so much right now. We are just getting out on our feet, we get engaged, married, friends get married, buy houses and our first cars and eventually there is a growing family in the mix (whether it's kids or animals ;)).

I never thought this would be a challenge, but it gets really difficult to balance everything and keep it all straight. For me, I am currently in the middle of our first home purchase. I never knew that it would be so...so...dominating. Inspections, financing, paint colors, appliances. It consumes my thoughts no matter where I am (work, car, sleep, grocery store), and makes it difficult to focus on the tasks at hand. Setting aside major personal milestones so that I will still be effective at my job is a hurdle that I'm beginning to get over. I imagine it only gets harder with the addition of kids.

I know that my issue is not unique, and I take great solace knowing that I'm not alone. I have called on several friends for help along the way and guidance from mentors.

No matter what change the next 3 years brings, as far as I can tell, it's all worth it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
On another, somewhat related note...THE ELECTION FOR NATA President is still going on! How much will change in the next 3 years of our profession and association?! What will your IMPACT on the future be?

No comments: