Friday, March 18, 2011

2011 Election-District Director (5 of 5)

This concludes our District VI Director Candidate profiles.  To see complete profiles and more information on the candidates be sure to check out the Special Edition Newsletter and our Facebook page (SWATA Young Professionals in Athletic Training)

How will you encourage YPs to reach out to you and the executive board?

Mike Carroll- Head Athletic Trainer, Stephenville High School
I have always felt like accessibility is of paramount importance.  I have been on executive boards for local, state, and district associations as well as multiple NATA committees.  While on all of those boards or committees I prided myself on communicating with the membership. That communication should include regular e-mails, blog updates, Facebook page updates or other media types with information about the association.  It should also include simple things such as returning a phone call or an e-mail in a timely fashion.  As district director it will be essential for me to represent District Six at the national level and the only way that I can do that is to encourage the YPs to communicate their thoughts, ideas, complaints, and praises to me.

Bucky Taylor-Athletic Trainer, Mesquite ISD

I would be the representative of the District 6 membership which I would take very seriously.  Anyone can contact me at any time.  My personal goal is to respond to the individual the same day as contacted, and within 24 hours at the latest.  I will answer/respond to their issue to the best of my ability, and I will both present and represent your concerns to the board.  No question or concern is unimportant.

Kathy Dieringer-Athletic Trainer/Co-Owner, D & D Sports Med
This is indeed difficult for some professionals, and especially for those who have not fully established their networking skills yet. The best I can say is try—reach out to those members of the executive board. We are not as intimidating as we sometimes appear to be, and believe me, we all remember what it was like to be a young professional who wants to be involved. Technology is paramount to the future of athletic training, and will continue to play a huge part in our communication. My “ears” are only a mouse click, phone call, or text away.  As all athletic trainers, regardless of experience, begin to embrace technology more, I believe this will become easier. The SWATA Executive Board has made great strides in this area through the use of Facebook and the SWATA blog, and I’m confident this trend will continue in both SWATA and the NATA.
Ron Carroll-Head Athletic Trainer, Arkansas State University
Leaders such as the NATA National Director can provide a variety of contact information (phone, email, etc) for YP’s to contact them with questions.  The National Director can attend YP social events, lectures, business meetings.  Most of all listen and respond 100% of the time.

No comments: