Friday, October 26, 2012

Personal Trainer? Horse Trainer? Oh, Athletic Trainer...

Stranger: What do you do?
Athletic Trainer: Oh, I'm and athletic trainer.
Stranger: Oh how great!  Listen, can you give me some tips on how to lose a few pounds around my waistline.
How many times has this happened to you?  I know as athletic trainers, we've combed over this whole nomenclature things until there's nothing left.  But has it really gotten us anywhere?  We can agree to disagree on that, but one thing I think we can all say is that the above conversation has happened to each of us more times than we can stand.  It's frustrating, and if you catch some of us on a bad day, you can really get an earful. 
I come from an undergraduate program whose clinical coordinator and program directors were sticklers about the "athletic trainer" terminology.  Anyone who was anyone got corrected on this if they referred to us simply as "trainers."  It is engrained in me to cringe when I am introduced as "the trainer."  I have politely corrected all of my athletes and coaches to no avail.  I am still referred to as "the trainer" (or sometimes Momma Bear, but that's an entire different blog). 
I am offering no solutions to remedy this issue, if it is in fact an issue to anyone besides me.  I'm just hoping for some comments, and maybe a good old fashioned debate.  At least I know then you guys are reading this :)

2 comments:

DumbShit ATs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

I have shared your frustration and had a similar upbringing in that saying "trainer" was unacceptable. I'm from California where licensure has not yet been obtained, and where "trainer" almost always means personal trainer. Then, I moved to Texas where "trainer" often means athletic trainer. This was a really hard adjustment for me because I'm so used to cringing and feeling a bit disrespected/misunderstood when I am called a trainer. That said I have been an advocate for proper terminology in Texas just like I was in California. I'll say that it is certainly harder here.

Advocating for proper terminology is not easy, but I've found that if I approach others with respect and courtesy, I can make some real gains. It is so important to not transfer my frustration onto those I am educating. It's not their fault they don't understand, and it's not going to change over night. But, with persistence and hard work, it will change. We just have to be patient and committed to the cause.

Some ideas:

1) I do a similar concept to a "swear jar" where I have words that are not allowed to be said in your ATR. For example, my list includes perf, totes, other annoying abbreviations, curse words, and of course trainer and training room.

2) I tease my athletes when they say "trainer" and say things like "excuse me? What was that?" and eventually, they get it and it becomes sort of a fun thing. Also, I've found that often after being teasingly corrected a couple times, the athlete will ask "what's the big deal, anyway?" and then I have an opportunity to educate them on their terms. These athletes have also been known to educate each other (ie. incoming freshmen)

3) Maybe at the beginning of the next school year or semester, sit down with your coaches in your staff meeting and ask them to refer to you as an "athletic trainer." I did this, and expected to get shot down but surprisingly my coaches were supportive. I explained the reasons why it is important to me (the NATA asks us to, it's a respect thing, media relations), and then just told them how much I would appreciate it if they could use proper terminology.

Hope my experiences may prove helpful to some of you others out there. Bottom line is you have to do what works for you, but whatever it is, figure it out and do it! You will see change happen!!