Friday, August 14, 2009

An Athletic Trainer?


Recently, I visited a doctor's office. In casual conversation, the physician asked me what I did, and I proudly stated: "I'm an athletic trainer." To my delight she knew what an athletic trainer was and when discussing my condition(s), she used medical terms and spoke to me as a fellow healthcare professional.


I required some further testing and was sent to a phlebotomist. In casual conversation, she asked me what I did, and I proudly stated: "I'm an athletic trainer." She responded, "Yeah, I really need to get in shape....(something about working out)"
I proceeded to give her my "elevator speech" about athletic training...

"Actually, athletic trainers are in the health care field. Our focus is on the prevention, care and rehabilitation of athletic injuries of all athletes, from your high schools to the professionals and the weekend warriors. We are also first responders and have a very unique skill set from our educational programs, and it requires a degree and a certification like most allied healthcare professions."

This sparked interest and conversation. In my brief visit, I was able to educate someone new about athletic training. Goal achieved!


I would guess that nearly 1 out of every 2 people are unfamiliar with athletic trainers. What do you do when you encounter those people?

I used to say..."you know when you watch sporting events and someone gets hurt...those people that run out on the field/court...those are athletic trainers." The problem with this is while you've provided them with a point of reference, they still don't know WHAT we do.

Another hurdle is that it is difficult to correct or challenge a stranger (or even a friend), but it is necessary to continue to advance. You don't have to be confrontational or rude, just informative and personable. So I developed my "elevator speech." A short, informative blurb about athletic training that you could spit out over the course of an elevator ride. Just long enough to peak interest without boring and beating over the head ;)

Over the course of the next few months, this great job of ours will afford us the opportunity to catch up with old friends, meet new people and be missionaries of athletic training.

I challenge you to go forth and testify about athletic training!
Take advantage of opportunities to talk to the unaware about athletic training, further educate those almost in the know, and spread the good word about this amazing profession.
P.S. No worries, I'm doing fine :)

No comments: